Lions sweet Bearcats in double header

Emily Harris in mid swing against SBU on April 3.

The Missouri Southern softball team played in Joplin with doubleheaders against Missouri Western State University and Northwest Missouri State University. 

The Lions are currently 19-20 overall with a 10-12 record in conference. 

In game one against the Griffons, the game made its way all the way to the 11th inning. 

During the top of the inning, the Griffons scored off of a sacrifice fly. Southern was right on their tail but couldn’t gain control with the final score 1-0. 

Senior Taurean Guzman went all eleven innings allowing one run, eight hits, and two strikeouts. Junior Makaila Leonhart hit 2-for-4 and junior Elizabeth Windsor went 3-for-5. 

In game two, the Griffons jumped out to a 3-0 lead to start. The Lions responded with four doubles to keep the score close. 

MWSU answered back by scoring two in the fourth, one in the fifth and three in the seventh. The Lions came short in another close battle with the final 10-5.

Sophomore Abby Atkin started the game striking out six and freshman Meredith Iden pitched 3.2 innings with one strikeout.  Windsor, freshman Josie Tofpi, and junior Emily Harris went 2-for-4 at the plate. Senior Ashley Caldarella had two hits combining for four runs. 

To start the doubleheader against Northwest, the Lions scored seven total runs in the first. 

The Bearcats only scored one in the game, but Southern scored one in the fourth and the fifth to run rule them 9-1. Guzman threw five innings allowing one run and three hits. Windsor had three hits while senior Lexi Ferrari, Harris, and freshman Tori Frazier each hit two to combine for the teams nine RBI’s. 

In game two, Missouri Southern came out hot scoring five total runs in the first two innings. The Bearcats would only score a run during the game, leading the Lions to a victory 5-1. 

Atkin entered the third in relief to allow one hit and three strikeouts. Windsor and senior Angel Badalamenti each had two hits, while Ferrari went perfect at the plate with her two hits. Southern would only allow the Bearcats to two runs during the double header. 

Head Coach Hallie Blackney said the team played well during the previous games.

“Once again, our pitching was very good, and they lead the way for us,” Blackney said. “We handled the early start time on Saturday really well and came out on fire. 

“All three facets of the game clicked for us and we were able to play two complete games against Northwest.”

The team’s final four conference games will take place on Friday and Saturday, April 26 and 27.

“UCO is the number one team in our conference and NSU is a quality opponent, as well, so we welcome the challenge of them coming into our home ballpark,” said Blackney. 

Missouri Southern softball team at their last regular season weekend at Pat Lipira Softball complex in Joplin take on the University of Central Oklahoma and Northeastern State University.