KGCS-TV continues to air local programs

The campus may be closed, but Missouri Southern is still serving the Joplin community. Students are finishing their courses remotely via Blackboard and professors are staying in contact by using Zoom and other online methods.

KGCS-TV, which broadcasts locally from Kolpin Studios in Webster Hall, is still airing original programming to keep students, along with the rest of the Joplin community, entertained and informed.  

Judy Stiles, a professor in the communications department, serves as General Manager for KGCS-TV. She wishes to provide Joplin-area viewers with local programming while keeping them updated regarding campus and local news.

When the current crisis started, we felt strongly about maintaining our role in communications and outreach for the campus and community.” Stiles said. We are licensed to serve the Joplin region, and we wish to continue to do so.”  

KGCS-TV will continue its governmental coverage for the city, such as the city council sessions and the Missouri Southern Board of Governors meetings. On April 6, the station televised live, and later re-aired, the teleconferenced city council meeting. The sessions are currently closed to the public, so this still allows citizens the opportunity to see local government in action.

We will continue to work with the City to broadcast their meetings,” Stiles said.  

A staple of KGCS-TV is the program Newsmakers, a local talk show which Stiles also hosts. The show will continue to be produced, however, the interviews will be “virtual” by using video technology. 

The first episode using the new format aired on April 8 and featured Distance Learning Director, Scott Snell, and Chief Information Officer, Don Mihulka. The interview focused on the transition to online learning for Southern students, as will many of the new episodes. An upcoming interview will feature the Registrar and Bursar and how they have adapted to the changes.  

More interviews are planned,” Stiles said. We also post these interviews on our YouTube channel, ‘KGCS Missouri Southern.’ That allows people who miss seeing the broadcasts to see them online. The University Relations and Marketing office is helping to get the word out about the interviews.”  

KGCS-TV will continue to air entertaining and educational programs as well.

We plan to air programs recorded earlier this year, including student programs, concerts from the music department, and lectures from campus,” added Stiles. We will also share a bit of nostalgia, digging into our archives to feature KGCS programming from past years.”  

For students making the difficult transition to the online format for the remaining semester, be sure to tune into KGCS-TV to stay informed, updated, and entertained.