Greek life kicks off semester

A greek barbeque was hosted for students interested in greek life Thursday, Aug. 23, on the Resident Hall lawn. Representatives from Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Pi, Alpha Sigma Alpha and Zeta Tau Alpha attended to meet and hang out with students.

“There was a good turnout of a lot of Greeks and non-Greeks,” Keegan Tinney, member of Kappa Sigma, said.

“There is a lot of interest this year. It’s exciting to see people interested in greek life at Southern.”

Tinney encourages students to come and check out what it’s like to be in a fraternity during Rush Week.  

“It will change your life and you won’t realize it until you’re in it. It’s a great way to get out there and meet people and get involved with campus.

“All of my friends are greeks,” Tinney said.

Throughout Welcome Week, representatives from each sorority and fraternity set up various activities and tables to interact with students curious about greek life.

The BBQ marked the first event on the greek calendar.

Freshmen residents on campus, nursing major Kaitlin Smith and Sarah Garner, undecided, came to Southern this year unsure if they wanted to go greek. The BBQ helped them to make the decision.

“I wasn’t sure if I wanted to rush. But the girls I met were really nice and encouraging,” Smith said.

“I want to get involved on campus,” she added. “Joining a sorority sounds like the perfect way.”

Garner too said she would like to get involved on campus.

“I want to meet people get the full college experience. I’m excited to rush,” she said.