Mayes Dining Hall creates Mardi Gras Feast

Terri-Lynn Frasher/The Chart

Wendy Smith, a sophmore art major, chooses from the nights themed Mardi Gras menu in Mayes Dinning Hall on Tuesday, March 4.

With the sounds of big band music playing and the smell of creole seasoning in the air, people lined up for dinner choices like gumbo, shrimp po’-boys and authentic muffaltos while a feisty woman passed out beads and king cake loomed for dessert.

Though it sounds like a scene straight from New Orleans, it was actually Mayes Dining hall during the Mardi Gras-themed dinner party thrown by Sodexo on Tuesday.

This Fat Tuesday celebration was planned by Mayes Dining Hall’s chef manager Jaqueline Jackson. The event marks one year Jackson has been with Sodexo. She says she feels new to event planning, but hopes to have a themed event like this every month.

According to Jackson, when she first came to Southern, all the cafeteria offered was a steak dinner once a month. She said she did not feel steak was special enough, and she has worked hard to bump up the fun.

In addition, she would like to see Mayes Hall  become a more central place on campus.

“We are trying our best to give the students something to do so they don’t leave campus and maybe make bad choices,” said Jackson.

Students who attended the event seemed to enjoy the effort, with a line forming outside the dining hall before the doors even opened. One of the first through the door was alumnus Forest Bridges.

“The food is excellent tonight, especially for the price,” he said.

Freshman criminal justice major Maryssa Downing had a good time goofing around with her friends during the festive dinner.

“I was excited to try the Mardi Gras food. It was good too,” said Downing.

Shonte Clay, a senior communication major, was obviously enjoying herself as she received beads from Becky Gregs, a supervisor for Sodexo.

“I like Mardi Gras day,” said Clay.

Wendy Smith, junior art major, summed up the general feel of the night.

“This is great because they have such a different variety,” said Smith.

Jackson hopes plans for a St. Patrick’s Day event the week before spring break are possible.

She also plans to have formal dinners throughout the rest of the semester.