Past experiences dilute confidence for wary Student Senators

The semester is wrapping up for Student Senate, and some senators are wondering if they really make a difference.

Senate President Ben Hinkle asked the group to suggest topics of interest to the student body. Senators suggested topics ranging from the international mission, enrollment policies, public outdoor art displays, security on campus, a revision of the smoking policy and including washing machines in University housing fees.

The smoking policy proved to be a sticking point for some Senators since they previously passed a resolution to relocate outdoor ashtrays – a resolution which some felt was sidelined by the administration.

“The things that we discuss in here, the things that we pass, the resolutions that we make, they don’t have any teeth, they don’t get any attention,” said Howie Lindeman, sophomore English major.

Hinkle said he has personally brought the last two resolutions to the attention of University President Bruce Speck.

Senate Secretary Ashley Blankenship suggested the possibility of appointing a several Senators to shepherd the bills going forward to the administration.

Kevin Ferdig, resident director of Blaine Hall and Student Senate adviser, offered to bring a report of resolutions that have been adopted as policy.

“Maybe they get preoccupied with a lot of different things with school and whatnot and kind of wonder, ‘Hey, whatever happened to that resolution that I’ve written way back when?'” Ferdig said.

Not all Senators follow the path of their resolutions through the administrative process. Some of the Senators, Ferdig said, are new and may not have seen results from their efforts.

“Fixing something like that is just something that I guess it comes from both sides,” Ferdig said. “We need to get back to them and kind of let them know that they need to get involved and stick with it.”

Four resolutions had a first reading during the Nov. 17 meeting. The Dec. 3 business meeting will be Senate’s last for the semester. The last deadline for allocation requests is Dec. 1. On Dec. 10 senate members will visit the Boys and Girls Club.

A resolution regarding Senate abstention policy proposes revising the bylaws to no longer count abstention votes as negative.

Adam Givens, freshman political science major, proposed a Homecoming dance.

Johnathan Saunders, freshman political science major, proposed a resolution to extend the amount of time a senator is given on the floor from two to five minutes.

“I’m a believer that in some cases silence gives consent,” Saunders said.

Saunders also put forward a resolution calling for all Senate expenditures come to vote, currently expenditures under $100 are approved by the executive board.