Beimdiek commemorates a decade of recreation

Photo by Caleb Thomas

Students play basketball inside Beimdiek Recreation Center on Oct. 2.

To celebrate 10 years since the Beimdiek Recreation Center’s opening, Tuesday, Oct. 1, a gathering took place in front of the recreation center.

Green and gold balloons lined the entrance with streamers to match, t-shirts were handed out and those in attendance mingled over cake and coffee. While games and festivities took place, many faculty members signed up for a fitness challenge spanning the month of October.

Those participating in the challenge will be rewarded for visiting the gym this month based on the number of times they scan-in per week, courtesy of Southern’s Wellness Department.

For example, consecutively scanning-in once per week will earn participants a fitness towel. Go twice a week and receive a five day meal prep kit, and those visiting three times a week will win a Lions fitness bag.

“We’re organized here today to essentially say thank you to our staff and supporters for their years of teamwork,” says Steven Benfield, Director of Recreational Services on campus.

Located on the second floor in Billingsly Student Center, attendants launched the October fitness challenge with guided tours of the facility. Newcomers were welcomed to try out basketball courts and equipment, and faculty lined up to enter the incentivized challenge.