Southern inks Carthage HS catcher for ’09-’10 softball campaign

Ashley Harris, a senior at Carthage High School, signed a letter of intent to play softball at Southern under new head coach Bill Gray.

Cody Dyer

Ashley Harris has heard a lot of cheering for someone who hasn’t had many plate appearances in her prep softball career.

In hindsight, who could quibble with Harris’ ability behind the plate during the past two seasons? Harris, a senior catcher for Carthage High School, signed a letter of intent to play softball at Missouri Southern under new head coach Bill Gray.

“He’s a pretty good guy,” said Harris of her new coach, “and he is trying to turn the program around.”

Harris, who will be mentored by senior catcher Angie Turner, began to realize she had the potential to play at the next lever over the past two years.

“I never thought I could get to this level,” Harris said, “but I have worked extremely hard.”

“This is an exciting time for her,” said Carthage High School Head Softball Coach Gordon Godfrey. “It’s the job of a coach to work hard and get players to the next level. She will be a great asset to (Missouri Southern’s) program.”

The Lions, who are coming off a disappointing 8-30 2008 season, have added 11 players to the roster for the 2009 season thus far.

Harris, who finished her senior campaign with a .926 fielding percentage behind the plate, could compete for a backup role with the Lions during the 2009-2010 season.