Students cut coffee, curb mileage to save

As the economy sheds jobs and the stock market sheds points, students in Joplin are bundling up to weather the effects of a national recession.

Trudence Camerer, a sophomore biology major from Joplin, has trimmed down on her coffee expenses to save money.

“I have coffee at home instead of at Starbucks,” Camerer said.

She isn’t alone in cutting out java to save money.

Laura Barr, a freshman music major from Joplin has adjusted a daily coffee habit into a twice weekly one.

“I heard a daily coffee could add up to $300 a year,” she said.

Barr said she’s less likely to make impulse buys with the down economy and is more aware of what she spends her money on.

Bryan Felton, a junior respiratory technology major from Philadelphia, turns his heater off at night and uses an electric blanket to stay warm. Transitioning to a student again this year, he doesn’t have as much time to go out and spend money.

“I’ll buy groceries for my house, I cook more at home now,” Felton said. “I buy lunch meat and make it (lunch) at home, it is cheaper.”

Jessica Smith has tried to succumb to less impulse buys and changed where she lived to save money.

“I got an apartment this year because I figured out that an apartment would be cheaper than the dorms,” the sophomore English major from Marshfield said.

Smith isn’t reluctant to bundle up as the temperatures have dropped.

“I still haven’t turned on the heat in the apartment,” Smith said.

Chris Stubblefield has cut down on his consumption of hamburgers and shakes from Braum’s, as well as minimizing road trips and shopping.

“I used to go out to Braum’s a lot, not that much any more though,” he said.

The freshman management technology major from Monett also stopped using the air conditioner earlier in the year and switched over to fans.

“You can save a little bit of money there,” he said. “A.C. gets a little expensive.”