AT&T ponies up $100K for Rec Center upgrades

Kevin Vossen of AT&T is greeted by Dwight Douglas as they make the announcement on Nov. 12.

The AT&T logo will hang above the bookstore sign once construction is complete in the Beimdiek Student Recreation Center.

Kevin Vossen, director of external affairs for AT&T, presented a check for $100,000 to the University on Nov. 12 for technology improvements in the center including wireless upgrades and audio-visual equipment for the theater area.

University President Bruce Speck said he was pleased with the community involvement and the investment it represents for Southern students.

“It means that the community is embracing Southern and saying that we’re community property,” he said. “They’re willing to work in partnership with us so that we can provide the community with the workforce it needs. I think there’s a huge symbolic importance here.”

The gift funds part of the estimated $298,000 in improvement and changes to Billingsly Student Center and the Beimdiek Student Recreation Center.

“As we were designing that project it became evident that we were going to have to ramp up our technology services in that building to give the services that we wanted to give to students,” said Dwight Douglas, chairman of the Board of Governors.

“We’re going to increase the cable access in many of the rooms and conference rooms and offices in the Beimdiek Recreation Center and increase cell phone access so students will have plenty of lines to use when they’re using our facility either exercising or whatever.”

In October of last year Southern supporter Larry Cole approached Vossen about the possibility of getting involved with the University. Legislators including Sen. Gary Nodler (R-Joplin) and Rep. Ron Richard (R-Joplin) both strongly agreed according to Vossen.

Cole sees the development of Missouri Southern as something that adds to the community and brings economic development.

“We must take it to the next level,” Cole said. “Buildings aren’t the answer to everything, but they’re important tool. The development of the Billingsly building to further meet young people’s needs was just something that I found exciting and something worthy of investment.”

Vossen sees the corporate partnership as a way to connect Southern with AT&T and the surrounding communities.

“Joplin is a get-it-done type of place,” he said. “There are no strings attached, it’s all about the students.”