Cops, coffee and & conversation

Photo by Liz Chandler

University police officer Lucas Farley speaks to students inside Billingsly Student Center on Oct. 2.

For the first time ever, Wednesday, Oct. 2, Missouri Southern’s police department participated in National Coffee with a Cop day.

Southern’s police department offered a hot roast provided by Kaldi’s Coffee to pass on to students in Billingsly Student Center in order to open up conversation between police and students.

“We decided to participate and have students come around and let them know what our prevention programs are, and also to see if they have any questions about policing on campus,” said Southern’s Chief of Police Kenneth Kennedy.

“Anytime you can develop a rapport with students, you’re more likely to have them come and talk to you about a problem that’s going on or a dangerous situation. So we try to do that, [and] be approachable.”

National Coffee with a Cop day began in 2016 as part of National Community Policing Week and continues each year on the first Wednesday of October. The event aims to bridge the gap between the community and the law nationwide.

Coffee with a Cop provides a casual atmosphere to have real conversations with police officers in a neutral environment.

Southern offers a year-round program called Coffee with the Chief that allows for a one-on-one conversation with Chief Kennedy to promote a stronger relationship between the police department and those it serves.

To request a time for Coffee with the Chief, search “Coffee with the Chief” on www.mssu.edu

or to request a time for Coffee with the Chief, go to www.mssu.edu/student-affairs/university-police/coffee-with-the-chief.