Resolution calls for greener campus

Student Senate took an-other week off and came back to a full slate.

This week, Mike Kennedy, assistant professor of biology, had the floor for a half hour to talk about Missouri Southern’s environmentally friendly policy.

“We submitted a proposal for a $40,000 grant for Missouri Southern to recycle paper, plastic bottles and to begin the composting of campus food,” he said. “We were awarded $10,000 to recycle office paper and plastic bottles.”

The last $30,000 of the funds were to be used to start a compost program but were denied because of negative news coverage of RES in Carthage.

“The day they made the decision for grant funding, RES was on the front of The Joplin Globe,” Kennedy said. “Anytime RES is in the news, everything stinks.”

Even though the compost funding was denied, he still plans to go through with it.

The faculty and staff who started the project want to hand over the control of the efforts to the student body in hopes that it will take off. A group has been organized to take over the faculty and staffs efforts.

The Senate also heard from Kelly Wilson, director of Advising, Counseling and Testing Services, who is proposing campus-wide memorial services for students and Southern employees who pass away.

Wilson also proposed a raise in fees to fund counseling.

“It’s $1.90 a month and I think we have to contract for a full year for the number of students we have,” she said.

The total increase will be $19 per academic year if the proposition passes.

Senate appropriated funds to the MBS and Financing Investments Club in the amount of $1,000.

Senate is considering proposals to increase funding to the international mission, have pet friendly residence halls, a greener campus initiative, allowing liquor sales at Fred G. Hughes Stadium and a DPS resolution.

All will be considered and voted on next week.