Munzlinger proposes concealed weapons on campus

Persons with concealed carry endorsements could legally bring guns onto college campuses if a House bill is approved.

HB 646, sponsored by Rep. Brian Munzlinger (R-Williamstown), could make college campuses safer in Missouri, and Munzlinger believes the bill would work.

“Criminals don’t obey laws anyway,” Munzlinger said this week. “This is only giving law-abiding citizens the right to protect themselves. They have to be properly trained and permitted. They have to go through the concealed carry class. Right now it’s 23 years or older; those are the only ones eligible to get a concealed permit.

“You’re really not talking about a lot of students,” he added. “You’re talking about professors, or TA’s or maintenance people.”

The bill would add a section to chapter 571 of the concealed carry law, and would make a concealed weapon on campus legal but could subject the person to denial of or removal from the premises. If they refused, a peace officer could be summoned and a citation given.

Munzlinger said it would only apply to a campus in general, and weapons wouldn’t be allowed inside buildings.

“I’ve actually had students come down and they’re the ones that brought it to me to file the bill so I’m moving forward with it,” he said. “I’m sure it’ll get a lot of discussion this year.”

Opponents of similar measures have argued that more guns could lead to more violence, but that’s not the case, according to Munzlinger.

“We heard that when we passed the first concealed carry bill,” he said. “The blood and mayhem in the streets, which just hasn’t happened. Actually crime rates have gone down in states where they’ve passed that legislation. Crime rates have gone down.

“Like I said, criminals don’t obey the law anyway. When you set up a gun-free zone like a campus, that criminal knows he’s got a few minutes to do his work before the police show up. A lot of mayhem can happen in a few minutes.”

Munzlinger cited a school shooting at the Appalachian School of Law, during which he said bystanders were able to subdue the attacker with a firearm.

“The criminal had the intent of causing the same damage that went on in Virginia Tech, and he did shoot and kill three people and wounded three more, but two individuals went to their vehicle, got their firearm and were able to hold him until police got there.”

The bill was referred to the House Agri-Business Committee on Feb. 12.