Track and field hosts Invitational

Junior Chris Brown clears the bar in the high jump during Southerns RadioShack Invitational. Brown earned a provisional at the Tyson Invitational with a jump of six feet, nine inches.

Jim Quist

Junior Chris Brown clears the bar in the high jump during Southern’s RadioShack Invitational. Brown earned a provisional at the Tyson Invitational with a jump of six feet, nine inches.

Boasting two new school records, the Missouri Southern men’s and women’s track and field teams will host tomorrow’s MSSU Invitational.

Sophomore Aki Nummela broke a 13-year-old school record in the mile run with a time of 4:11. Nummela’s time earned him an 11th place finish in the event, as well as, a provisional into the national meet.

“Breaking that record was all just a matter of time,” said Men’s Head Coach Tom Rutledge. “He’s been training very well and I’m extremely happy for him.”

Junior Kimi Shank broke her own 5,000-meter record for the second time this season. Shank finished fourth last week at the Tyson Invitational with a time of 17:01.

“She continues to get better,” said women’s Head Coach Patty Vavra. “She is an extremely focused individual and its fun to watch her run.”

Shank was also named the MIAA Track Athlete of the Week. Freshman Nicole Green was named MIAA Field Athlete of the Week after earning a provisional in the shot put. Green, who competed at the PSU meet, had a shot put distance of 45 feet, two and a half inches.

“This was an unbelievable step of improvement,” Vavra said. “It’s great to see someone develop over the season and have that type of success.”

The women’s team sent athletes to the Tyson Invitational as well as Pittsburg State University.

At the Tyson Invitational, junior Courtney Waltbillig finished seventh in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 17:51. Senior Kara Eckard finished 13th in the women’s mile run with a time of 5:04.

Southern was represented in the women’s shot put by sophomore Emilie Miseler and junior Erin Steffens who finished 20th and 21st.

“Emilie had a great throw, which was an improved provisional,” Vavra said. “She is improving every week.”

Junior Ciara Lipsey finished 30th in the pole vault with a vault of 11 feet, seven and three quarter inches.

At Pittsburg, freshmen Gayla Booth and Cyarra Prince finished fifth and sixth in the long jump.

Booth also tied for fifth in the high jump with junior Channell Lloyd. Lloyd finished third in the triple jump fourth in the 60-meter hurdles.

“This home meet is really going to be a tune up for the conference meet,” Vavra said. “It’s an opportunity to see what we need to fix.”

On the men’s side, senior Derek Wright finished 20th in the 800-meter run. Freshman D’Angelo Wood finished 53rd in the 400-meter run.

Senior Seager Wilson led a trio of Lions in the pole vault with a 17th place finish. Sophomore Corey Shumate finished 20th with a vault of 14 feet, five and half inches. Senior Phillip Horn finished 22nd.

Horn also competed in the long jump, finishing 27th.

Freshman Seth Hackney finished fifth in shot put with a distance of 51 feet, seven inches. Freshman Kyle Hancock finished 10th.

“Seth is a great freshman,” Rutledge said. “He’s getting to where we need him to be.”

Sophomore Finland native Jarrko Jarvenpaa ran the 5,000-meter run in a time of 14:59, finishing seventh.

Returning from an injury, sophomore Chris Brown finished 11th in the high jump. Brown’s jump of six feet, nine inches earned him a provisional in the national meet.

“Chris is starting to make a move, which is what we need right now,” Rutledge said. “With the loss of Corey Reynolds, we are going to have to rely on him to step up.”

Reynolds, a two-time All-American; will miss the remainder of the indoor season due to an Achilles injury.

Tomorrow’s meet will began at 10 a.m., with field events. Running events will begin at 3 p.m.