Senate closes out a ‘great year’

After three weeks of debate, Student Senate voted on a proposed new student government constitution.

Though Senate has voted on the constitution, members say it will take some time to be officially ratified.

“What Dean [Doug] Carnahan is looking for is for us to say, ‘Yes, its time for a change and this is what we think will be all right,'” said Matt Day, Student Senate parliamentarian. “He’s going to work through some of the kinks and it’s going to take more than just a year.”

Day called it a “good faith vote,” meaning that the Senate acknowledges the need for change in the University’s student government, but wants the help of administrators.

Senate also voted tonight to give $1,000 to Phi Beta Lambda and Psychology Club, and gave another $1,000 to the Organizational Behavior class, which is working on renovating the on-campus memorial for deceased students.

Senate also considered a resolution of service projects on which remaining Senate funds might be used. After an amendment to the resolution was made, it was decided that 25 percent of the remaining Senate funds, provided the amount does not exceed $1,000, would go towards building a planed amphitheatre near the Billingsly Student Center and another 25 percent under the same restrictions would go to building an electric sign on campus.

The last item on the resolution calling for Senate funds for security cameras in Lot 20 was tabled.

Any unused funds will roll over into next semester’s Senate coffers.

This was the last business meeting for Senate this semester. Next week, Senate will have its end-of-semester picnic.

“I think this year was a great year,” said Will Lynch, vice-president of Student Senate. “It got off to a bit of a contentious start, I would say based on the mood of the earlier meetings, but we’ve come a long way.

“I think that everybody has learned from our experiences here.”

Senate elections will be held next week. Voting will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 2 p.m. on April 27-28. Ballots can be found at the CAB offices in BSC.