Senate fails amendment to ditch class restrictions

An amendment to remove class restrictions on Student Senate elections was not passed this week our of fear that elections would not accurately represent the student body.

“This should not be a popularity contest,” said Howie Lindeman, sophomore English major. “We don’t want to stack the deck. We want to have as adequate representation of each of the classes as much as we possibly can.”

The amendment had only four votes in its favor.

An appropriation request for the Equality Alliance’s Dance Marathon, which takes place this weekend, was presented.

“Two months ago, we contacted the (Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation) in Washington D.C.,” said Ruth Eichinger, president of the Equality Alliance. “They set up a home page for people to register and donate online. They’re helping us out with a lot of organization and they pretty much led us through all of this already.”

The lack of funds in the alliance made the group afraid they would have to draw from the money raised for the foundation to rent the gym.

With this being said, the Senate suspended regular rules for passing appropriations, voted and passed the appropriation in the amount of $400.

Other appropriations passed were for the German and Respiratory clubs both in the amount of $1,000. Also passed was the Initiative Petition Amendment, which would lower the number of students who must sign a student petition.

Other resolutions passed were the Enrollment Requirement Amendment, which wants to give voice to part-time students who currently have no voice in Senate, the Senator Engagement Amendment wants senate members to take a more active role in Senate, and the Energy and Environmental Conservation Amendment.

The Student Nurses Association and Student Library Association both placed appropriation requests that will be voted on next week.