Track and Field to host conference meet

Junior Corey Shumate prepares compete in the MIAA conference meet. Shumate is one of 20 athletes competing for the mens team.

Corey Reynolds

Junior Corey Shumate prepares compete in the MIAA conference meet. Shumate is one of 20 athletes competing for the men’s team.

The Missouri Southern outdoor track and field teams will enter tomorrow’s MIAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships boasting two MIAA Athletes of the Week and the men’s conference winner in the decathlon.

Senior Phillip Horn won the 2009 MIAA Multis, finishing first in the decathlon on Monday.

“Phillip did a great job,” said Men’s Track and Field Head Coach Tom Rutledge. “He kept his cool and kept consistent. It was very challenging, but he did well.”

Horn finished first in the pole vault, discuss, long jump, high jump, and 100-meter hurdles.

“He worked through the bad weather,” Rutledge said. “His performance earned him a provisional into the national meet. I would’ve liked to be able to see what he could have done in better weather.”

Horn also finished third in the javelin throw and shot put. He was sixth in the 1,500-meter run.

Juniors Ciara Lipsey and Channell Lloyd were named the MIAA Track and Field Athletes of the Week after their performances at the Missouri Southern Bill Williams/Bob Laptad Invitational on April 24.

Lipsey, the Field Athlete of the Week, broke her own school record by six inches when she vaulted a height of 12 feet, 11 inches.

“She is continuing to improve,” said Women’s Head Coach Patty Vavra. “She had a big vault that was in the sky. She really came through with a big one.”

Lipsey finished seventh in the event, but was the top Division II performer.

Lloyd, the MIAA Track Athlete of the Week, earned the honor after receiving two provisional marks last week.

“Channell has two events she has a chance to get into the national meet with,” Vavra said. “She needs to improve in one or both.”

Lloyd earned her provisionals in the 100-meter hurdles and the triple jump.

She had a triple jump distance of 38 feet, four and a quarter inches.

“She has a tendency to peak at conference,” Vavra said. “I’m hoping she will do that again.”

Freshman Lisa Vengels finished thirteenth in the 2009 MIAA Multis.

“Lisa has room to improve,” Vavra said. “But, she has improved so much throughout the year.”

Southern will host tomorrow’s conference meet.

The men’s team will be without junior Corey Reynolds, sophomore Aki Nummela, freshmen Dawson Urrutia, and James Coleman who are all out with injuries.

“It’s been a tough year,” Rutledge said. “We’ve had a lot of injuries, but we’re not making excuses. My students assistants, along with Jamie Tallman, have really kept the glue together this season.”

Tomorrow’s field events will begin at 1 p.m. and running events will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday’s events will begin at noon with running events at 1 p.m.

“We’ll be at home,” Vavra said. “It’s an opportunity for good fan support.

“This group of ladies has worked hard. They work together and compete well together. They will rise to the occasion.”