Hancock steps up in shot put, finishes first

Junior Andrew Gassen competes in the javelin during Southerns MSSU Track and Field Festival. Gassen finished first in the event.

Jim Quist

Junior Andrew Gassen competes in the javelin during Southern’s MSSU Track and Field Festival. Gassen finished first in the event.

After hosting the MSSU Track and Field Festival last week, the Missouri Southern men’s track and field team looks to compete in tomorrow’s PSU Invitational.

Freshman Kyle Hancock won the weight competition with a distance of 146 feet, five inches.

“Kyle threw very well,” said graduate assistant Dustin Miller. “He had a personal best and he is gaining experience.”

Hancock also finished second in the shot put.

Senior Phillip Horn finished first in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 17:74. Horn also competed in the high jump, long jump and pole vault competitions.

“Phillip ran well in the hurdles,” Miller said. “He ran a solid time.”

Freshman John Lowe finished second in the 100-meter hurdles. Sophomore Kevin Wright won the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 56:66. Lowe finished second.

Taylor McClelland and David Selby competed in the triple jump. The freshmen placed first and second. McClelland jumped a distance of 43 feet, four and half inches. Selby also finished fifth in the high jump.

Sophomore Josh Mathis finished second the 5,000-meter run with a time of 15:09. Junior Brennan Benkert finished fourth.

“Our upperclassmen are really stepping up and leading the way,” Miller said. “Right now, after the injuries we’ve had, we’re focusing staying healthy.”

Southern junior Isaac Garcia won the 5,000-meter competition, but competed unattached.

Also competing unattached was junior Andrew Gassen, who competed in the javelin. Gassen threw a distance of 166 feet, six inches.

The men’s team has been without Head Coach Tom Rutledge who has been out due to surgery.

Helping fill his spot for the time being is Marcus Walton and Jamie Tallman, as well as former Southern athletes Ryan Arthur, Russell Ellis, and Miller.