Movin’ in

Anna Treat, freshman dental hygiene major, has her hands full moving into her dormitory for her first time.

At 8 a.m. on Aug. 20, the general student body was allowed to move into Missouri Southern’s residence halls.

For first semester freshmen, the experience can be unnerving.

“It’s a little scary being by myself,” said Artis Gritgsby, freshman computer drafting engineer major. “It’s going to be a little hard trying to find my way through college.”

Other freshmen seemed to be less nervous.

“I’m just ready to move in and start college,” said Greg Bentrap, freshman criminal justice major.

Parents seem to have full confidence in their children leaving home for the first time.

“He’s kind of nervous being that he doesn’t know anyone or anything like that, but I think he’ll adapt to it,” said Keith Perry, father of Gritsby.

Several other parents share Perry’s confidence in their children.

Despite the nerves of freshmen, Pamella Conely, junior biology major, says the experience of moving in gets easier by the year.

“I’ve been here since my freshman year,” she said. “You’re more comfortable moving in after you’ve moved in a couple times.”

Conely said there have not been many changes since she began living in the dormitories, but she is excited about the new showers and new roommate.

A lot of work goes into getting the residence halls ready for the new arrivals, according to Matthew Hickman, resident assistant and senior Spanish major. Hickman was one of many who worked on making things run smoothly last Thursday.

“It’s about a three or four-day process. We have to have them come to an office, find their folder, take their picture, RHA fee, go over the rules and prohibited items,” he said. “We have to have a general, very brief orientation with them. Later we take them to their rooms and go into wing meetings to try to get them oriented.”