Rec center debuts, fitness area scheduled to open Monday

After years of debates, planning and fund raising, the Beimdiek Student Recreation Center is finally here.

Darren Fullerton, director of student life, said the building has been a part of the student voice for almost 10 years and he’s glad to finally see it in stone.

Fullerton said in October of 1999, when the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center was first opened, students saw the new weight rooms and facilities and were disappointed to find out that only the athletes would be using them. He said that’s what started the push for a recreation center. The following spring, a campus survey showed student support for the project. And over the last 10 years CAB, Student Senate and several key students have been very vocal about the need for a common gathering place on campus.

“Now we have a place where commuter students and residence hall students can both hang out,” Fullerton said. “This has the opportunity to transform our campus. And it puts all of the main services for the students right here on one walkway.”

The retail bookstore was the first part of the building opening, with the ribbon cutting on Aug. 6. Since then, the building has been opening a little at a time.

Currently the third floor is all finished and houses several meeting rooms, a ballroom and student services, which includes the dean of students, office, housing for students, student discipline, student conduct, student insurance and Student Senate.

The second floor has also opened everything but the fitness center. On that floor, students can find student activities and campus recreation. The Willcoxon Student Health Center and the bookstore are both on the second floor and have tripled in size.

Fullerton said the health center will probably see more traffic because of its convenient location and size increase. Currently there are two full-time nurse practitioners and one part-time nurse practitioner on staff. The center also has a doctor from Freeman Health System on retainer who visits the center every two weeks. If students need expanded services, they will be referred to him when he’s not there.

“But the majority of the times what we see people for, the flu, common illnesses and allergies are no charge,” Fullerton said. “Since students pay a health fee charge they are not charged to access any of the services at the health center.”

The nurse practitioners also have several over-the-counter medications available, a full spectrum of immunizations and the power to write prescriptions to pharmacies that provide a discount to students.

The building is also a place of employment for several students. Fullerton said about 80 students have been hired so far.

“This is not only a student recreation center to use, but it’s also a student-run center as well,” Fullerton said.

Although the building is ahead of schedule for the most part, the opening of the recreation center has been postponed until Monday.

“Nothing major, just a few minor things that by code won’t let us in until we correct them,” Fullerton said.

But students aren’t too upset about the one-week delay.

“If it’s open in the next two or three weeks I’m find with that,” said Carrington Harrison, senior mass communication major.

Jacob Khan, freshmen undecided major, said he was a little disappointed when he went to play basketball on the first day of school and the recreation center still wasn’t open.

“That’s okay. I’ll deal with it,” Khan said. “But the first day it’s open I’ll be in there.”

The recreation center has three basketball courts, an eighth of a mile indoor walking/jogging track, two separate 4,000-square-foot fitness centers, two dancing studios, locker rooms and a150-seat movie theater that will all be open on Monday.

There will still be a delay on the wellness testing lab, which will offer computerized testing for body weight, composition and other services.

However, the fitness and wellness program will be ready to go with personal trainers available and a wide variety of classes, from Pilates and yoga to zumba and boot camp.

The first floor of the facility, aside from the fitness center, still has quite a bit of time before it’s open to students though. It will also have textbook rentals, the one-card system and an office services center, but won’t be open until September.

Even with only part of the building being completed and the delay to opening the fitness center, students and faculty alike are already enjoying the benefits of the new facility.

“It creates a synergy for students we’ve not had here,” said Dr. Terri Agee, senior vice president.