UNDER FIRE: Chelf seeks to keep report private

University President Bruce Speck sings with the Joplin Rotary Club Aug. 6. The song was cited by Faculty Senate President Roger Chelf as a major grievance in the ad hoc committees preliminary report on a vote of no confidence.

Special to the Chart

University President Bruce Speck sings with the Joplin Rotary Club Aug. 6. The song was cited by Faculty Senate President Roger Chelf as a major grievance in the ad hoc committee’s preliminary report on a vote of no confidence.

The Faculty Senate ad hoc committee created to determine if and why to pursue a vote of no confidence in University President Bruce Speck is hoping for a resolution to the controversy today.

An initial report from the committee, titled “Update on Progress of the Ad Hoc Committee,” was delivered Wednesday to Speck and the Board of Governors, which meets at 1 p.m. this afternoon.

“It has certainly been the hope of this committee that this issue is resolved Friday so that the entire report doesn’t have to be made public,” Chelf said Wednesday during a meeting with reporters and two members of the committee.

“If (Speck) and the Board come to terms of an agreement this report won’t have to be made public.”

The five-page report was not made available to the media Wednesday, but Chelf said the update contains examples of “failures of leadership, failures of management, failures of shared governance and failures of judgement and public embarrassment.”

“In my opinion, number one on that report would be the song he sang at the rotary club meeting, ‘Pink Slip Blues,'” Chelf said. “It was not well received by people who work for Bruce Speck.”

The song, sung by Speck at an Aug. 6 Rotary Club meeting on campus, was to the tune of Marty Robbins’ “Singin’ the Blues.” It included references to furloughs and budget cuts.

The report is being withheld from the media, Chelf said, because it is still a work in progress and subject to further change and editing.

He added that if the Board takes no action today on the matter the committee would continue working on its full report.

“If the Board takes no action we plan to continue,” Chelf said.

A vote of no confidence was discussed last year, Chelf said, but he and Dr. Carla Walter, then president of the Faculty Senate, decided to wait.

“We both resisted efforts to this last year,” Chelf said. “We said let’s give the man time.”

The committee consists of Dr. Nii Adote Abrahams, head of the department of finance/economics and international business and associate professor of economics; Dr. Roger Chelf, professor of physics; Dr. Casey Cole, professor of psychology; Dr. Scott Cragin, associate professor of business administration; Dr. Linda Hand, assistant director of the Honors Program and professor of mathematics; Dr. Danny Overdeer, professor of teacher education; Stephen Schiavo, associate professor of computer information science; and Richard Spencer, assistant professor of criminal justice.

“It is my hope the Board resolves this issue [today] and the healing process may begin,” Chelf said.