Southern’s got talent

Missouri Southern will host a talent show on March 11 in Corley Auditorium at 7 p.m. where students will compete for $700 in cash prizes. 

“The talent show is one of my favorite activities each year because you know it is a competition, but behind the scenes all of our students are so supportive of each other. It’s really great to see that, so I wish everyone could be able to see that…,” said Craig Gullett, assistant director of student life.

One student, Emily Schubert, a sophomore social work major, will be performing with two others in a performance that is a dual dance and impersonation act. 

“…We felt like we wanted to mix up the variety of talents in the show and we really just wanted to brighten it up, do something funny, make people laugh,” she said.

The talent show will showcase students who will be performing a variety of dance, singing, and other activities. There will be between 10-15 students who will be performing during the talent show.

“I’m excited to see other people’s talents… it’s really interesting to see people who you wouldn’t expect, because a lot of people don’t have an outlet to showcase their talent because sometimes it’s unorthodox or it’s just not a club or it’s not their main career…,” said Schubert. 

Southern has hosted a talent show with variations of the name dating back to the 1940s. 

“They used to call it Stunt Night back in the day. I don’t know why they called it that…,” said Gullett.

The event will be free to all and the first 100 students who arrive and scan in with their student ID will get a free t-shirt for attending the event. 

First-place winner will receive $300, second place $200, third place $100, and the people’s favorite will also win $100.