Rutledge won’t use youth as excuse, expects to ‘compete at a high level’

The cross country season has started here at Missouri Southern as the Lions competed in their first meet of the season Friday, Sept. 2 in Fayetteville, Ark. 

Sophomore Jacob Benton and freshman Eric Schott were the top finishers for the Lions placing 8 and 9. Benton finished in a time of 21:05.6, while Schott came in at 21:05.7. Although the Lions did not have any runners finish above No. 8 place, they finished in a close pack as the 8 through 13 places were all filled by Lions. 

“This was a good meet to start off with; we got a chance to run against the No. 15 ranked Division-I team, which provided us with great competition,” Head Coach Tom Rutledge said. “I always like to challenge my runners. 

The team consists of about 12 runners. Two are upperclassmen, which makes Southern a young team, but that’s not an excuse Rutledge likes to use. 

“I never like using having a lot of freshmen and sophomores as an excuse to not having a good team or having a good season,” he said. “I expect all of my runners to compete at a high level and maintain it throughout the season and provide us with a successful season.”

Rutledge mentioned that he doesn’t have great runners, but rather a whole team of good, solid runners. 

Even though the Lions were able to finish in a pack at the last meet, they still were behind the lead pack; which Rutledge says needs to be improved. 

“We need to have five runners behind everyone else’s No. 2 runner,” he said. “If we drop off the pace, we will lose. It’s simple as that.” 

The Lions will be off this week as they start preparing for their home meet, the Southern Stampede on Sept. 17. 

“The size of the meet is always a plus for us and the city of Joplin,” Rutledge said. “Fifty some odd high schools will be there, along with nationally ranked college teams as well. The off week will benefit us because the more work we get, the better we are going to be.”