Homecoming events planned for next week

Students will have more chances to support the Lions during homecoming week than just at the football game on Oct. 1.

Homecoming, starting next Monday this year, is a week full of ways for students to get involved, get out and have fun every fall semester.

“For homecoming, we have an event every night of the week,” Craig Gullett, coordinator of student activities said. “On Monday we have casino night, Tuesday we have laser tag on the oval, Wednesday we have an improv group, it’s the Upright Citizen’s Brigade theatre, they actually have theatres in Los Angeles and Chicago and tour nationally. On Thursday there’s a murder mystery dinner, that’s kind of like a big game of like Clue and there’s of course food involved in that. Friday is a busy day; we have the homecoming picnic that starts at 11 a.m. on the oval. There, of course, free food, we’re giving out the homecoming T-shirts, we’re going to announce homecoming king and queen results, we’ll have a couple novelties around the oval as well. Friday night we have a band coming in, Stars Go Dim, and they’ll perform on the oval, then Saturday, obviously, the game and the parade in the morning. Busy week.”

Voting for homecoming king and queen will be held this Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Lions’ Den. Gullett says last year 20 total candidates were nominated through different registered student organizations on campus, and he expects similar numbers this year. He says the candidates will be narrowed down to 10 finalists before making the announcement of Southern’s homecoming king and queen on Friday at the picnic.

Gullett says he expects good student turnout this year, saying the Student Activities office has heard a lot of buzz on campus about the events.

The homecoming king and queen will be honored on Saturday at halftime of the homecoming game.

Homecoming week events

Monday: Casino night

Tuesday: Laser tag on the oval

Wednesday: Upright Citizen’s Brigade

Thursday: Murder Mystery Dinner

Friday: Campus-wide picnic, homecoming royalty announced

Saturday: Parade, football vs. Mo. West