Alumnus returns to campus to lead others to God

Curtis Almeter

Joseph Hobbs (second from left) holds prayer on the oval twice a week and performs worship service with friends every Wednesday at 11 a.m.

Passing students may have noticed a group singing or talking in the afternoon on the Oval. Chances are, it was Missouri Southern alumnus Joseph Hobbs, the head of a prayer and worship group on campus. 

Hobbs graduated last May with a degree in speech communication. His wife, Amanda, is finishing her degree and should graduate this December. Hobbs works for the New Creation Church and when he isn’t working there, he takes part in the Joplin Disaster Relief. 

Despite his two jobs and family commitments, he still makes time Monday through Friday to come to campus  to talk, pray and worship with students. 

Hobbs was inspired to start this group from a bible verse in Matthew 5: 14-16, which says, “A city on a hill cannot be hidden.” He believes Christians should not hide their light under a bowl. 

“I think one of the most attractive things Christians can do is live the life in public,” Hobbs said. 

He hopes that even if students don’t join the sessions, they will still be influenced. 

“Good or bad, if we are out here [on the Oval], people will think about Jesus,” Hobbs said. “They would say, ‘Oh look those people are praying to God,’ or, ‘Those people are worshiping God.’ That may never come to anything but at least they have seen; at least they have had an opportunity to see what we do.

“Monday and Friday we pray, on Wednesday we just play worship music,” he said. 

Hobbs plans to incorporate a Bible study on Monday and Friday. 

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, they meet from 11 am. to 1 p.m. with about eight or nine showing up on Wednesday and five to six on Monday and Friday.

Tuesday and Thursday, Hobbs is available in the bottom floor of the library at the coffee shop and buys people coffee if they sit and talk with him, knowing the average college student’s affinity for caffeine. 

Hobbs says he won’t continue the bible study past December. “I am leaving in December, because my wife graduates and I’m going to graduate school in England. 

“So we are going to be moving overseas,” he said. 

Hobbs says he will continue the study until the last week of classes in December. 

Those interested in joining Hobbs for prayer or worship,  can reach him by phone at (573) 303-6677 or on campus every day of the week.