2011 Homecoming queen hopes to work for government

2011 Missouri Southern homecoming queen Sam Evans is greeted by University President Bruce W. Speck at the Oct. 1 homecoming football game which Southern lost 35-23. Evans is a junior criminal justice major minoring in biology, psychology and crime scene investigation. Evans ran as a representative of the Residence Halls Association.

From a small town on the border of Missouri and Arkansas, Sam Evans is a laid-back kind of girl. Graduating with a class of 55 from Blue Eye High School, she chose Missouri Southern for several reasons. 

“I come from a small school, never won anything, so it was really neat to win in college. Despite the size, it was still neat,” Evans said.    

Evans has worked for Campus Recreation since the fall of 2009 and is currently a supervisor.

“Sam is a fantastic person. I love working with her,” Ally Benkert, senior elementary education major and co-worker of Evans, said.  

One of the most attractive things about Southern, Evans said, is the chance to have a new slate. She also says its far enough way that she’s able to live on campus and away from her parents, yet close enough for them to come visit her.

“Its not about what you look like or act, it’s about how flexible you are on changing your view. You have to be open minded.” 

Evans hopes to graduate in 2014, and eventually pursue a career within the federal government. 

In her spare time Evans says she generally enjoys being with her boyfriend, and likes to go to Hastings, Petland and PetSmart. 

“I really wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now,” she said.

Coming originally for the biology program, she is currently a junior majoring in criminal justice administration with three minors: biology, psychology and crime scene investigation.

Evans is also involved in Phi Eta Sigma, MOSO Maniacs, is a Southern Ambassador and a part of Residence Hall Association. Working for both the Campus Recreation and the Residence Halls Association, she can now add homecoming queen to her list of accomplishments. Evans represented the RHA.