Project Stay hosts breakfast workshop

Curtis Almeter

Zach Wheeler, sophomore creative writing major, fills his plate at Tuesday’s Bagel Breakfast.

Project Stay is a program at Missouri Southern that provides support and motivation for students that might need that little extra budge. 

Since 2001, Project Stay receives funding from federal grant money to help to first generation, low-income and disability students on campus. With events like the ‘Bagel Break Workshop’ the program provides support and a positive environment for students to turn to when in need of help. 

Kelly Wilson, director of advising, counseling and testing services (ACTS) spoke to the group Tuesday morning about time management, passion and dreams. 

“With passion comes drive, with drive everything falls into place,” Wilson said.

The national average of those who graduate with a college diploma is from about 26 to 29 percent, while Project Stay has an average of about 32 percent over a six -year period. 

With about 130 students currently, the program hopes to reach its full student capacity of 170 students by sometime this spring, and the program is a resource for students to turn to when they don’t know where to go. 

“Knowing they’re there is real helpful,” said TerryLynn Frascher, freshmen business and marketing major, ” It’s nice to have a program that offer incentives to help guide you to get further ahead.”

Freshmen and sophomores have the potential to get grant aid at the end of the year if they actively participated with juniors and seniors receiving an incentive as well.  

Wilson spoke on the idea that  “college is the sandbox of life …  it’s where you figure it out,” urging the group to go on a “treasure hunt” and discover their passion.  

Director of Project Stay since February, Dory Quinn says the program offers motivation for students and has been making a difference. 

Offering laptops, caculators, guidance, along with any other tools needed to excel in school, Project Stay is doing all it can do to help   students enrolled in the program. 

Greg Jackson is the new academic support specialist and acts as an adviser and support system for students involved. 

“I would hope the students know there are people to support them and that we’re here to offer the support. It’s tough, I remember,” Jackson said. 

The program tries to plan events on and off campus two to three times a semester and workshops at least once a month.  

The events planned are what the program called cultural events. This past Thursday a group got together from Project Stay to attend the Art Walk in downtown Joplin.

Quinn says the main goal for the culutral events is to help students experience activites they might not attend on their own.

Zach Wheeler, sophomore and creative writing major, joined the program his freshman year and says he likes that he has a safety net to fall back on. 

Wheeler says he loves the support’he recieves from all involved in the program.

“It has been a motivator and a nice reminder, especially events like this, to put things back in perspective,” said Wheeler. 

Project Stay offers continued support for their students and works to   help prepare them for future situations.