Drug, gun arrests made on campus

Throughout the month of Oct., there have been several reports of illegal activity, mostly drug related, in the campus residence halls resulting in the arrest of some students. 

“When we become aware of any illegal activity, we notify campus police and they investigate the situation,” Dr. Ron Mitchell, dean of students, said. “In most cases, if there are illegal drugs or activity, at the least, the student is dismissed from the residence halls and sometimes they are dismissed from Missouri Southern, along with the necessary legal actions.” 

According to campus security reports, on Oct. 16, housing staff notified campus security of a noise complaint that resulted in three students being arrested and sent to Jasper County jail on a drug charge. 

Jacob Kennedy was arrested on Oct. 23 for cocaine and marijuana possession as well as possession of a 9 mm. handgun.  The same day, there were also two other cases of marijuana possession and narcotics violation, and one alcohol violation. 

On Oct. 31, campus police was notified of an individual walking around in a “drugged condition.” That individual, who was not a student, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and later released. 

“We, along with the housing staff, are trained to look for signs of illegal behavior and if they notice anything we increase our vigilance, and if there is in fact illegal activity happening, we react very quickly,” Mitchell said. 

Broderick Hayes, Marcus Walker, Thomas Harrison and Kody Rector were among those students arrested.  

“We feel, since all this has occurred, that the residential housing is safer than before,” Ken Kennedy, chief of campus police and department of public safety director said. 

“Those individuals involved have been or will be removed from campus.

“Ron Mitchell is making sure all students are safe on campus and he’s doing a good job.” 

Mitchell assures that they are respecting students privacy and that all the policies concerning illegal activity can be found in the student handbook. 

“It’s not shocking this is going on, but it is unfortunate that this happens and that those students have made poor decisions,” Mitchell said.

According to Kennedy, Southern doesn’t have a serious drug problem on campus, but the department of public safety will do everything it can to ensure one does not develop.