FALLEN LIONS

Curtis Almeter

Members of the Missouri Southern football team embrace in memory of teammates killed in a Dec. 2 car accident on I-44. The campus gathered for a candlelight vigil that night and a memorial service yesterday.

Two Missouri Southern football players, Diondre Johnson and Michael McCrimmons, were killed on I-44 near Sarcoxie at approximately 2:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 2.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crash Report website, another Southern football player, Jeremy Johnson, was driving a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder with Diondre Johnson, McCrimmons and Southern golfer Patrick Holt as passengers. Jeremy Johnson was airlifted to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa and Holt was airlifted to St. John’s Hospital in Springfield. 

“It’s a terribly sad day for Missouri Southern athletics department,” Athletics Director Jared Bruggeman said. “We are deeply saddened over the news of the tragic accident, and are equally heartbroken over the news of the deaths of two of these young men, Diondre Johnson and Michael McCrimmons.Any time a tragedy such as this happens, we immediately think of the many people who are grieving today. 

“To the football teammates, the fellow athletes, family and friends, we offer our heartfelt condolences and prayers. We will continue to support them in this time of grief. In addition, our prayers go out to the families of Jeremy Johnson and Patrick Holt as we hope them for a swift recovery.”

The highway patrol website’s report of the incident reads, “Vehicle #1 went off the roadway into the median, struck the median, overturned, ejecting passenger [Diondre Johnson]. Vehicle #1 came to rest in passing lane of eastbound I-44. Subject [Diondre Johnson] was pronounced deceased by coroner Rob Chappel at scene. As required by state law, the surviving driver was tested for alcohol.”

According to Chappel, toxicology test results on the driver will not be available for approximately eight to 10 weeks. It is not known at this time if alcohol was involved in the accident.

The Joplin Globe reported a chain of events that led to Diondre Johnson and McCrimmons’ deaths: Johnson’s Pathfinder struck the median while traveling in the westbound lane of the interstate, overturned, ejecting Diondre Johnson, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The sport-utility vehicle finally came to rest in the passing nally came to rest in the passing lane of the eastbound lanes on I-44, where it was struck by a semi truck, killing McCrimmons. The final accident in the fatal chain occurred when Jeremy Johnson was struck by a third vehicle while walking across the driving lane, away from where his Pathfinder had been hit by the semi, of the eastbound interstate. The teenagers were traveling back to Joplin from the popular Springfield 18-and-up nightclub Icon.

“Diondre and Mike are literally two of the greatest guys I’ve ever met,” senior wide receiver Kellen Cox said. “The image of them that will stick with me is how they were always smiling. They were always laughing and enjoying each day. They were two guys that were full of life … Jeremy is a great friend. I met Jeremy this summer as we had workouts together … Jeremy and I have the sort of big brother, little brother relationship. Even though he’s physically bigger than me and more muscular, I’m older so he’s the little brother. He and I give each other a hard time about anything and everything. What I love about Jeremy is how he treats other people. He respects everyone and always gives them his best.”

“He is a fighter and he will get through this,” Cox said. “He is my teammate and he is my brother and I’d do anything for Jeremy. I pray that he’ll fully recover so we can play football together one more time”

The Chart was told on Wednesday that Holt had been released from the hospital and is currently with family, recovering at home. Also, Jeremy Johnson has awoken from his coma. 

He is still in the hospital, but doctors believe he is healthy enough that they can perform necessary orthopedic surgeries on him as he continues taking steps toward recovery.

“When I woke up I had over 10 missed calls and texts and it was like a bad dream,” senior wide receiver Landon Zerkel said. “Diondre was such a well-liked guy throughout campus; a great teammate, player and even better friend. Mike [McCrimmons] shared a locker next to me and he was a really funny guy. 

“I’m gonna miss seeing that dude next to me everyday during football. They say the good die young, and we definitely lost two great people. They will be missed on a daily basis for a long time to come.”

He added, “You just pray for all families and friends involved. Our team loved these guys. They were more than teammates; they were brothers.”

The University also held a memorial service at 3 p.m. yesterday in Corley Auditorium. The memorial was open to all University faculty, staff and students, and was also open to the public.

“My heart is moved by such a tremendous outpouring of love and respect for these two young men who have passed away,” former Head Coach Bart Tatum said at the Dec. 2 vigil, held just 16 hours after the accident. 

Southern has set up multiple counseling opportunities for anyone who may need it in the wake of the fatal incident.

Students may call or text message the number (417) 499-3894 for counseling provided by the University.

Funeral plans for Johnson and McCrimmons include a visitation for both at 5 p.m. today at Gorman-Scharpf Funeral Home in Springfield. 

The joint funeral will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the gymnasium of both athletes’ alma mater, Parkview High School in Springfield.