4 business workshops remain this semester

Missouri Southern’s Small Business and Technology Development Center offer multiple small business workshops each semester to the public. 

“These workshops are open to anyone who wants to learn more about running a business,” Sarah Vargyas, research associate with the Small Business and Technology Development Center said. “We’re here to provide education assistance to small business owners and individuals who want to start their own business.

SBTDC offers an array of workshops and training programs. Some of the topics include computer program training, how to write a business plan, tax planning, problem analysis and how to begin a small business.

“We have small business workshops a few times a month,” Vargyas said. “We’re also focusing more on social media marketing because that’s what a lot of businesses are using right now and will have three to four workshops per semester on that topic.

“We have a mailing list of over 4,000 area businesses and individuals who are involved with SBTDC,” Vargyas said.

There are four workshops remaining this semester and, according to Vargyas, the workshops for the spring 2012 semester should be posted on their website within the next few weeks. 

Some of the SBTDC workshops and training programs require a fee paid in advance, but there are some offered free of charge. The details from each workshop can be found on their website. They also offer free one-on-one counseling to small area businesses. 

On Oct. 19, SBTDC, working with the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce, opened the Business Initiatives & Growth Hub, a second office downtown.

“We opened a second office downtown after the tornado to help with businesses that were destroyed,” Vargyas said. “We’ve been very busy.

For more information about SBTDC and their upcoming events, persons may visit mssutraining.com or call 417-625-3128. The SBTDC office is located in Plaster Hall, room 107.