Joplin YMCA trying to bring Christmas cheer to local teens

With Christmas just a few weeks away there are many organizations hosting food and toy drives for families in need. 

Missouri Southern student, Grace Love, is helping the Joplin Family YMCA do just this, but they have a more specific goal. 

“We are collecting food and small gifts for students at Joplin High,” Love, senior, general studies major and Joplin YMCA member relations director, said. 

The counselors of Joplin High School, who Love has been working along side with, received emails listing over 70 JHS students whose families were in need. 

“There’s a lot of programs like this for elementary age kids, but a lot of the time teenagers get looked over,” Love said. “We don’t want them to feel forgotten or that no one cares, because we do care.”

The YMCA is hoping to be able to reach more families over the holiday season by aiming to donate to this specific age group. 

The need is a little higher this year because many of the families who were affected by the May 22 tornado are still in need. 

According to Love, gift cards, headphones, art supplies, hair straighteners, jewelry and “anything a teenager would be interested in,” are some ideas for small gifts, but they will gladly accept any type of gift for donation. 

“A lot of families may not be able to afford much food, so they aren’t really going to be looking at Christmas gifts,” Love said. 

“With these gift donations, we hope to bring a smile to their faces.”

Persons wanting to donate can take their donations to either the Joplin Family YMCA downtown facility at 510 Wall St. or the Joplin Family YMCA south facility at 3404 McIntosh Circle. 

Donations will be accepted through Dec. 19.