SMELL THE ROSES

Curtis Almeter, The Chart

Workers from Ozark Nursery of Joplin plant trees and bushes near an entrance to the University. Campus beautification is an important part of Southern’s master plan for development.

Missouri Southern is working hard around campus to get students to stop and notice small touches and improvements. 

The campus’ master plan was developed and released this past summer. 

It highlighted some key points in the lack of campus beautification at MSSU. 

Southern has goals of turning those ideas into a reality.

One of these ideas already working into the budget is landscaping around the digital sign and Robert W. Plaster Sports Complex sign. 

Adding more monument signs in front of the buildings and directional signs at key intersections is also in the works. 

Making the campus more consistent in design is another a key point in the master plan. 

One suggestion was uniform benches and trashcans.

“Everything comes with a price tag,” Rob Yust, vice president of business affairs, said. “We think about what we can afford, what will have the most impact with the least amount of spending before we decide what gets done at what time.”

As the University’s budget is developed, the amount to be spent on campus beautification will develop as well, Yust said. It depends on all factors in which the University receives funds. 

The ideas in the master plan are a framework for future plans at MSSU, Yust said.

A committee is charged with making decisions on campus beautification and projects to revamp the campus. 

Student Senate, Campus Activities Board and other student organizations take part in this committee meeting as well as University officials.

The campus landscape plan committee will meet Monday night to discuss future campus beautification plans.