Music major singing to complete education

Brittni Frazier, music education major, will be performing her senior vocal recital on Sept. 25 in Corley Auditorium.

Frazier is a senior at Missouri Southern and is currently enrolled in her fifth year. The performance is a requirement for all music majors.

“It’s what you work towards as a music major,” Frazier said. “It takes a lot of rehearsing.”

The recital will be an hour long and 12 songs will be featured. Frazier, soprano, will be singing “Il Mio Ben Quando Verrà,” “Lied der Mignon I and II,” “Ilest Doux, Il Est Bon,” “The Fields Are Full,” “Do Not Go, My Love,” “Music,” “When Soft Voices Die,” “Someone Like You,” “Take Me as I Am,” “In His Eyes,” “Once Upon a Dream,” and “Gorgeous.”

Dr. Susan Smith, music professor, has been Frazier’s vocal coach for over five years.

“She [Dr. Smith] has helped me grow as a singer over the years. She’s very good at what she does,” Frazier said.

Frazier has been involved with music her entire life beginning at her high school, Webb City, as well as at Southern. She was involved in choir and show choir in high school and has been involved in choir, concert choral, chamber choir and show choir during her time at MSSU.

“Music has always been a part of my life,” Frazier said. “My experiences in high school made me want to pursue it as a career.”

However, Frazier has opted out on many occasions to compete in community and national competitions such as American Idol, despite her friends and family’s advice.

“People always tell me that I should, but it’s not really my thing,” Frazier said. “I decided that education was the route for me at Southern.”