Wellapalooza promotes healthy life

The Wellness Center hosted Wellapalooza this week, with events beginning last Monday.  

The first event, which included snow-cones, popcorn and a beer goggle obstacle course, was held on the Oval.

“We want to provide fun things that will get our message of wellness out there,” Sarah Neldeberg, advising, counseling and testing services, said. “We gave away 500 snow cones and had many of those students participate in the obstacle course.”

“MOSO student[s] are safe, healthy and smart,” covered the front of the cups, reinforcing the goal of the center.

According to the Missouri College Health Behavior Survey from Spring 2012, 84 percent of Southern students drink 0-4 alcoholic drinks and 50 percent didn’t consume alcohol in the past month.

This showed that Southern students typically drink much less than than the “average” college student, state-wide.

“Our students make great, healthy choices,” she said.

Wellapalooza events typically included a guest speaker to talk to students about health issues students may face.  

Matt Bellace was this week’s speaker for the segment “Getting High Naturally,” held at the Phelps Theatre.

In the afternoon he gave a special session for about 300 athletes.

“We choose a speaker based on recommendations from other universities and a list that the NCAA provides,” Neldeberg said.

“Our speaker [this week] came highly recommended, and is a comedian on the side.”

The NCAA, short for the National Collegiate Athletic Association, works to protect student athletes. Three membership classifications, Division I, II and II make up the NCAA, with each division creating its own rules and regulations. Missouri Southern is classified as a Division-II school.

Kevin Roberts, food “guru,” talked about healthy eating habits for students Thursday in the Lion’s Den.

Wellapalooza will conclude the week with a “Dive-In” showing of Wayne’s World at the MSSU pool tonight beginning at 7:30 p.m. Events are open to faculty, students and staff only.  

The Student Wellness Awareness Group, or SWAG, help plan and execute all wellness events. Students are also urged to check out Health Hut on Facebook and to keep an eye out for it throughout the semester.

The Health Hut will be at various places around campus each Thursday according to aquatics director Heather Arnold.

“The first people to either tweet or post on Facebook where the Health Hut is for that week will win a prize when they show up,” Arnold said.

The Health Hut is also in collaboration with SWAG.

“We meet the first Tuesday of the month at 3 p.m. in BSC 341. We would love for new people to come to the meetings and join us, “ Neldeberg said.