Fairs preparing graduates with career opportunities

College is about more than just getting through it. It’s about getting ready for a career.

“Only 29 percent of Americans have a college degree,” Kelly Wilson, director of Advising Counseling and Testing Services, said. “That’s why it’s so important to start thinking about a career now.”

Career Services and ACTS will host the Fall Career Fair and Majors Fair on Wednesday, Sept. 26, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. inside the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center.

Students will have many opportunities to explore different majors and career paths with businesses at the event.

“Students should expect to meet with employers interested in filling full-time, part-time, internship and volunteer positions,” Nicole Brown, director of Career Services, said.

“Additionally, several graduate schools will be in attendance to recruit students. Students that are actively seeking positions should come prepared with copies of their résumé.”

Undecided students may also benefit by talking with representatives for firsthand feedback.  

Brown said students should feel free to ask recruiters about hiring trends. The recruiters have a wealth of knowledge concerning new industry trends and high demand positions.

“By the time our students graduate, 50 percent of the jobs that will be out there haven’t even been created yet,” Wilson said. “This fair is a great way for students to see how versatile it is out there.”

Students needing help deciding on a major or minor will find many tools at the Career Fair and Majors Fair.

“If you’re a business major, maybe you could think about a minor in public relations.,” Wilson said. “It’s all about being marketable and having the skills the employer wants. Come prepared and come curious.”

Students are encouraged to dress professionally, a suit or button-up and dress slacks for men and a blouse or cardigan with dress slacks or a skirt for women.

“Many employers have traveled a long distance and taken time from busy schedules to recruit MSSU students,” Brown said. “Employers are looking for students that can fit in to a professional work environment.”

The Career Services website lists the employers to be featured at the event. For more information, please call (417) 625-9343.