Senior leader finishing college career

Senior Marlee Tegenkamp leads a group of runners around the bend during the annual Missouri Southern Stampede on campus Sept. 15. She would go on to finish 26th in the race.

Photo courtesy of Mike Gullett

Senior distance runner Marlee Tegenkamp had a childhood filled with sports that prepped her for the many years of cross country that followed. 

Tegenkamp began her track and cross country career in sixth grade.

Tegenkamp attended Lee’s Summit High School, competing in track and cross country all four years. Her last two seasons she was an All-State selection in cross country. Tegenkamp also holds the fourth fastest cross country time at Lee’s Summit High. 

In 2009, Tegenkamp earned Freshman of the Year and All-MIAA status with her sixth place finish on Emporia State University 6k course, earning the Lions an 18 point record- low finish and their fourth championship in a row. 

At the Division II Regional meet, Tegenkamp finished the 6k with a time of 21:57.73 earning seventh place, earning the Lions another 18 point finish and third regional championship in a row. 

Tegenkamp helped the Lions earn a third place finish at NCAA Division-II Championships by placing 68 with a time of 22:33.1.

Her sophomore year, Tegenkamp was the Lion’s top runner, leading the team to two third place finishes and three second place finishes, one being second place at the MIAA Championships and the other being 3 place at the Regional Meet. Tegenkamp earned All-MIAA status after finishing eighth at the MIAA championship meet. At the conference championship meet, Tegenkamp placed No. 12 and earned All-Regional.

Last season, Tegenkamp led the pack again and earned USTFCCCA All-Academic status. After finishing 30th on the 6k course with a time of 22:08.6 at the Division-II National Championship meet, Tegenkamp earned All-American honors for her overall performance. Tegenkamp led the Lions to a second place finish at the MIAA Championships and took home runner up finishing the 6k course with a time of 21:06.42 and earning All-MIAA honors.

This season Tegenkamp is enduring through an injury. 

“I could have red-shirted this semester, but for the team, since we host nationals, obviously we really want to make it,” Tegenkamp said. “So, for the team, I knew I would have to run, even with my injury…The biggest goal this season is to get the team to nationals and help with that as much as possible.”

She placed 26th at the Southern Stampede meet held at home. Marlee earned 10th place with a time of 18:18.91 at Missouri S&T. At her most recent meet, the MIAA championships, Tegenkamp earned 15th place with a time 23:14.65.

“Marlee is extremely talented as an athlete and she’s also provided a great deal of leadership to our team,” said women’s head coach Patty Vavra. “She knows what success is and she’s always helped us carry that tradition to the rest of the group.”

Tegenkamp will compete one more time at home in the NCAA Division-II Central Regional meet next weekend.