SOUTHERN ROYALTY

Willie Brown, The Chart

2012 homecoming king Trenten Henderson, a senior secondary English education major, tosses candy to attendees of the homecoming parade alongside queen Ruth Stamper, a junior English major.

Last weekend’s homecoming festivities were cut short, rearranged and rescheduled due to the rain and cold weather in Joplin. Students, faculty and community members were still able to have a good time despite the changing of plans.

“It [the weekend] was cold as hell,” freshman history major Cole Landis said. “I liked all the events and the fact that the whole town could be involved.”

Friday, the homecoming picnic was moved to the Lions’ Den due to rain. At the picnic, students were treated to free lunch, free t-shirts and events downstairs such as feather hair extensions, making bracelets and jumping on inflatables.

“It was a lot of fun,” junior psychology major Ashley Walker said. “The chili at the picnic was really good and I love getting free stuff.”

Homecoming Queen and King candidates were also revealed at the picnic.

A float party was supposed to be held Friday night to determine the winner of the best decorated float, but was canceled due to weather. The floats were judged and determined the next day before the parade.

“The parade was a lot of fun and I was surprised to see so many people come out,” Walker said.

Student organizations across campus participated in the decorating of floats. Floats were creative this year in complementing the theme of homecoming featuring a giant paper mache lion, timeline displayed on a football field of lion mascots and even a giant 75th anniversary birthday cake.

This year, three Greek organizations took the cake in the competition. First place: Zeta Tau Alpha; Second place: Kappa Sigma; Third place: Epsilon Mu Sigma.

Following the parade was the homecoming football game. Rib Crib treated fans to a free tailgating event before the game. Missouri Southern beat South Dakota School of Mines & Technology 47-20.