Sophomore runner ‘gives it his all’

Sophomore cross country runner Adrian Todd ran cross country for Kickapoo High School in Springfield, Mo., but his cross country career really started off in fifth grade, trading soccer cleats for a pair of running shoes. 

In high school, Todd helped his team qualify for state three of the four years he attended Kickapoo and received letters all four years in both track and cross country. Todd qualified for state in the 3200 meter and earned a spot as a member of an All-Region and All-District 4×800 meter relay team. 

Todd ran his first meet as a Lion  at the MSSU/PSU Dual meet. He ran the 8k course in a time of 25:53.70 and took 11th place. Later on that season he earned All-MIAA honorable mention for his performance at the MIAA Championship where he ran the 8k course in a time of 25:05.85 earning 20 place. 

“Adrian is a very outgoing person. He’d do anything for you and that carries on to the team aspect too,” said sophomore teammate Colton Wooldridge. 

“He loves the team and he gives it his all. He’s really stepped it up this year compared to last year. He’s one of the reasons why we’re ranked so high up nationally because he’s helping the team out so much.”

After a summer of hard work, this season Adrian Todd has become one of the pack leaders and a serious threat for competitors. 

“I really found more of a drive over the summer,” said Todd. “I decided to train harder; I pumped up the mileage a little bit, did more workouts, and overall just got more ambition. I want to see how far I can go. I have high hopes and I just want to win, as much as anyone else does.”

At the opening meet at University of Arkansas, Todd finished the 6600-meter with a time of 20:29.8, earning eighth place. Following that performance, Todd finished 11th with a time of 25:33.94 at Southern Stampede when competing on Southern’s own 8k course. 

Todd placed second less than 30 seconds behind first, with a time of 25:01.59 at the Jacking Jocks Invite held at Missouri S&T. Most recently Todd attended MIAA Championships at Northwest Missouri State and earned 7th with a time of 25:47.84.

“Adrian has a lot of excitement and dedication for the program. He’s made leaps and bounds that you can’t imagine,” men’s Head Coach Tom Rutledge said. “Adrian’s always got a smile on his face and he has a very positive attitude. I’m very, very proud of Adrian Todd and I anticipate him being an All-American before he leaves here because he is improving that much and he has the desire to make it happen.”

Todd will compete again at home in the NCAA Division II Central Regional meet next weekend.