Men’s track off to strong start

Willie Brown/The Chart

Junior Clark Tanksley take second in the men’s high jump at 6-06.75 on Day 2 of the MSSU Open Invitational on the weekend of Jan.11-12. Tanksley placed third in the men’s high jump at the Missouri Invitational with a jump height of 6-05.50 at Hearnes Center on thecampus of Missouri University on Jan. 18.

The Missouri Southern men’s indoor track and field season is well underway.

Most recently, the lions traveled to the University of Missouri to compete at the Missouri Invitational. Jeff Fraley a sophomore from St. Robert, Mo. won the 200-meter with a provisional time of 21.96, just a third of a second off of an automatic qualifying mark.  Fraley also competed in the 60-meter earning a fourth place time of 6.82. Seniors Dustin Green from Conway Springs, Kan., Evan Moore and Seth Hackney earned second, third and fourth in the shot put, all earning provisionals in the process. Michael Juergens a senior from St. Clair, Mo. picked up a provisional in the pole vault with a height of 15-7.25, placing fourth. Sophomore Darion Boure from St. Louis placed third in the triple jump with a provisional distance of 47-11.75.

“We have a very good team this year, I feel like we’re going to be very competitive in the MIAA, if not win it. It’s going to be tough because there are a lot of great athletes out there. But, we’ll definitely be in the hunt,” Head Coach Tom Rutledge said.

At the MSSU Open Invitational, Fraley won both the 60-meter dash and the 400-meter, earning provisional scores in both. He finished the 60-meter with a time of 6.80 and the 400-meter with a time of 50.00. Junior Jazz Allen from Conway, Ark. won the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.39, while teammate freshman Miles Migliara won the 800-meter dash with a time of 1:57.35. Green earned second place in the shot put with a provisional distance of 53-11.25 followed by Moore in third with a provisional distance of 53-03.00.

“The MIAA is one of the toughest track and field conferences in the nation bar none. We’re going to have to be at the top of our game to win the conference, but we could go to any other conference in the nation and win it. Our conference is tough and we have to be focused,” Rutledge said.

The lions started the season off at the MSSU Early Bird Meet and earned nine provisionals. Moore won the shot put with a provisional distance of 53-01.75, while he won the weight throw with a provisional distance of 56-09.50. Sophomore Jayce Thomas from Blue Springs, Mo earned first place in the high jump with a provisional height of 6-08.25. Juergens earned second place in the pole vault with a provisional height of 15-06.25. Boure won the triple jump with a provisional of 49-05. Fraley earned provisionals and placed first in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.87. Allen placed first in the 60-meter hurdles with a provisional time of 8.26. Fraley also won the 200-meter with a provisional, finishing in a time of 22.13.

“We have a really great chance at winning conference, but everybody has to step up,” Moore said “Runners have to run faster, throwers have to throw farther, jumpers have to jump a little further, and I just feel that with the team we have now we can win conference.  Everyone has to do their best and play their part.”

The lions will compete at the KU invite at the University of Kansas on Friday, January 25.