Bower vaults to No. 14 ranking

Saturday, January 18, the Lions traveled to the University of Missouri to compete at the Missouri Invitational.

Sophomore Melanie Bower from Linn, Mo was the top Division II performer. Bower placed third in the pole vault and earned provisionals with a height of 11-11.75. The height tops the MIAA and ranks Bower 14 in Division II. Junior thrower Kylie Cornman from Mountain View, Mo. earned provisionals in the shot put with a seventh place distance of 44-2. Brittani Reagan from Bentonville, Ark. received provisionals in the triple jump with a fourth place distance of 38-6.

“We’ve had some good performances, but it’s going to take some great marks to get to the national meet,” Said Head Coach Patty Vavra. “The young ladies put forth a great amount of effort. The expectations are very high. We’re developing strength, but at the same time we’re beginning to develop more speed and endurance. We’re working hard in the weight room; we’re working from the day we walk in here until the end of the season.”

At the MSSU Open Invitational, sophomore Taitum Mead from Carl Junction, Mo placed first in the long jump with a distance of 17-06.75, Freshman Kaylee Morgan from Carthage and Reagan placed second and third respectively. Cornman earned provisionals with a first place distance of 45-00.50 in the shot put.  Reagan earned first place in the triple jump with a distance of 37-01.25 followed by sophomore Mahogany Jones and sophomore Shelby Newell from Gravette, Ark. in second and third respectively. Junior Sydney Haase from Holt, Mo and Bower placed second and third with provisional marks of 11-8 followed by Ashleigh McFarland, sophomore from Rio Vista, Texas in fourth place.

The lions started the season off with six provisionals at the MSSU Early Bird Meet. Bower tied with teammate McFarland for second place in the pole vault, both received provisionals with a height of 11-5.75. Reagan and Morgan placed first and second in the long jump, with provisional heights. Reagan jumped 18-04 followed closely by Morgan at 18-06. Sophomores Amber White from Cuba, Mo and Newell placed fifth and sixth respectively. Reagan won the triple jump with a provisional time of 38-00.75, Jones, White and Newell earned third, fourth and seventh place. Junior Jackie Wallace from Orlando, Fla. won the 60-meter hurdles and earned provisionals with a time of 8.95, followed by Senior JeAnna Sheppard from Bentonville, Ark. and Mead in second and third.

“I’m looking forward to going to nationals, and as a senior I’m looking forward to leaving a legacy behind, finishing my four years off with a bang,” said Sheppard.

Next, the lions will compete at the KU invite at the University of Kansas.