Taking a walk through history

Joshua Boley/The Chart

Originally built by L.P. Buchanan in the 1920s, the Spanish theme mansion was renovated Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center after the renovations major benefactor.

This week students in University Experience courses received the opportunity to explore the Ralph L. Gray Alumni Center. Students were able to speak with the director, watch a video on the history of Southern, and tour the mansion.

“There is really no place on campus like this,” Lee Pound, director of Alumni Association, said. “It’s home for students and we want students to come and check it out.”

The historical mansion had been home to builder Buck Buchannan and Mr. and Mrs. Wallower before Southern purchased the building.

“The mansion has been used for social sciences and communication offices as well as to provide classrooms for the learning center,” Pound said. “Now its home for Missouri Southern Alumni.”

The alumni center also serves as a museum for the University, displaying old uniforms, jerseys, diplomas and merchandise from Southern’s past.

The alumni association coordinates and hosts events for alumni and soon-to-be alumni.

“We travel to places like Kansas City, northwest Arkansas, Springfield and the Tulsa area to host events to reach a higher number of our alums,” Pound said.

A 75-year anniversary book is also being written this year under the direction of the alumni association and three committees.

On Feb. 25, the alumni association will host the grad expo. There students will receive their caps and gowns, meet with representatives from the foundation, bursar’s office and financial aid office, sign their class banner and have the opportunity to meet and talk with vendors.

“We’re also discussing a graduation party,” Pound said. “And applications for most outstanding graduates will be coming in soon.”