Noses up to the bar, boys

Joshua Boley/The Chart

Freshman Colin Hughes and sophomore Omar Trenche, both biology majors, inhale different scents of oxygen at the oxygen bar set up in the Lions’ Den Tuesday. Airheads Oxygen and Aromatherapy put on the oxygen bar through Campus Activities Board.

Airheads Oxygen and Aromatherapy Bar was at Missouri Southern in the Lions’ Den on Tuesday, Jan. 29.  

Aromatherapy is the use of oils and other aromatic compounds to alter a person’s mood.

It is an alternative medicine that can also help a person’s cognitive function or health.

Athletes sometimes breathe oxygen at sporting events because more oxygen increases their performance and energy level.

An oxygen bar provides oxygen for recreational use. Flavored aromas are added to give the user a desired effect. For memory recall, one would use gardenia flavored aromas.

For stress relief, one would use lavender. Cinnamon and cherry aromas are used as male and female aphrodisiacs.

“It was relaxing but energizing,” Kaleb Clark, a sophomore mass communication major, said after sampling lavender for stress relief.

“The cost to get started is about $15,000,” Airheads owner and operator Dan Peters said. “It’s $40 a bottle and the flavored scents are actually fairly cheap.

“It’s a profitable business. In Las Vegas it costs $20 a person.”

He said the biggest expense for setup is travel.

Thanks to Southern’s Campus Activities Board, the oxygen bar was free to students.

Also, there are plans for the bar to return next fall.

For more information on campus events, see the events calendar at www.mssu.edu.