Letter to the Editor: Student Senate bylaw ammendment irks former president

This article is in response to a past Chart issue from Jan. 25, 2013 regarding the change in Senate bylaws.

RSO orientation is a mandatory meeting for organizations to attend, so that they may be eligible to receive Senate funding.

The Student Senate recently changed its bylaws so that any person, group, or department may ask for money.

Although well-intentioned, this change is a step backwards for the Senate and undermines the system in place.

The Senate should be encouraging students to mobilize and join organizations.

Studies show that students report a higher level of happiness when involved in extracurricular activities, and overall, more students involved could result in better student retention. On this campus, student retention is a hot topic.

Essentially, the Senate is saying “you don’t have to be part of any organization, even though we make you go to orientation.”

How does this make sense? It’s dangerous and counterproductive.

Prior legislation is in place that makes orientation mandatory and limits funding to RSOs. The legislation is filed in the Student Senate office along with other previous legislation.

The Senate leadership needs to be mindful of previously passed legislation. Disregarding it delegitimizes the Senate and its accomplishments.

It needs to go through its own records and continue to enforce what has been passed, or simply rewrite or overturn through the democratic process those things it wishes to no longer obey.

This is why debate in a legislative body is paramount: So that rushed ideas are killed before they are passed.