Women’s track picks up three wins at Emporia State

Willie Brown/The Chart

Sophomore hurdler Emily Paullus finishes eighth in the 60-meter hurdles at the Missouri Southern Lion Invite in Leggett and Platt on Feb. 2, 2013.

While competing at the State Farm Relays at Emporia State the women’s track team got into the swing of things by picking up three first place titles.

“It’s a matter of getting back into competitive form and getting back to the point of not only competing, but practicing like we compete as well,” Head Coach Patty Vavra said.

“It’s a matter of getting them back to running a little faster, jumping a little bit further, little bit higher and just getting used to focusing and competing.”

Junior Kylie Cornman earned a huge provisional distance of 47-9.25 and took home the title in the shot put. The distance currently ranks Cornman sixth in Division II. Cornman also earned fourth in the discus throw.

Whitney Hardy, a junior jumper, took the title in the high jump with a provisional height of 5-6.50. Sophomore Shelby Sutherland followed with a second place height of 5-3.

Junior pole vaulter Sydney Haase placed first in the shot put with a provisional height of 47-9.25. The height ranks her sixth in Division II.

“Instead of just showing up, you have to put in the effort,” said sophomore Ashleigh McFarland. “You have to give a 110 percent, not just go through the motions.”

McFarland and Melanie Bower earned the same height as Haase, but placed second and fourth, respectively, due to misses.