Men’s track irons things out for conference

The Missouri Southern men’s track and field team continues strong as they enter the last few meets before nationals.

The Lions won two events while competing at the Gorilla Classic at Pittsburg State University Saturday, April 13.

“We’ve got probably seven guys already that have qualified, that will probably get into nationals. One of our goals is 10-15. I think we might reach 10 people or more,” Head Coach Tom Rutledge said.

“We just have to still iron out some areas that we need work on to make a run for the conference championship. I think we’ve got some guys that can do it.”

The biggest provisional came from senior Michael Juergens in the pole vault. Juergens hit 17-00.00 to win the event, becoming the fourth athlete from Southern to clear 17 feet in the outdoor season.

The mark is the sixth highest mark in the program’s history and automatically qualifies Juergens for the national meet.

Freshman Brady Melugin followed in third place with a provisional height of 16-00.00. Raymond Woldtvedt, John Lowe, Zach Bobbett and Jarret Keller earned sixth, 10th, 13th and 17th place, respectively.

Taylor McClelland, senior jumper, placed second in the long jump with a provisional distance of 23-08.25 followed by Juergens and freshman Tylor Albright in 10th and 11th, respectively. McClelland also placed seventh in the triple jump.

After placing second in the 100-meter with a time of 10.76, freshman Erron Holley placed sixth in the 200-meter.

“We’re almost there. Just have to tune up some small stuff, nothing big,” Holley said.

Junior jumper Clark Tanksley placed third in the 400-meter with a time of 49.18 and freshman Miles Migliara competed in the 1500-meter run, finishing with a 10th place time of 4:06.45.

Junior sprinter Jazz Allen placed third in the 110-meter hurdles and earned seventh place in the 400-meter hurdles, while sophomore Andrew Webster finished the 5K with a third place time of 15:19.82.

Dustin Green, a senior thrower, picked up two provisionals in the shot put and the discus. Green won the shot put with a provisional distance of 56-09.75.

Green nearly broke his own school record in the discus with a third place provisional distance of 180-02. Green also placed fifth in the hammer throw with a distance of 172-02.

“Compete hard, give it all you got, and don’t ever just not try,” Holley said.

Senior thrower Seth Hackney placed third in the shot put with a provisional distance of 53-09.75 followed by senior Evan Moore in seventh.

Nicklas Polizzi, a sophomore thrower, placed sixth in the discus, while sophomore Zach Williams earned eighth place in the javelin.

The team continues to prepare for success at the conference tournament.