‘Lions’ find employment

Liz Spencer/The Chart

“The Career Services office offers a vast amount of resources to students,” says Director of Career Services, Nicole Brown.

Missouri Southern’s Career Service Deparment has long made itself available for students who are looking for ways to finance their academic studies and enhance their  work experience.

According to the department’s website, Career Services’ mission statement is to “empower Missouri Southern State University students and alumni to develop self-assessment and job-search competencies, to successfully link with employers, and to learn how to actively manage their own career development in a global job market.”

To help achieve this mission, Career Services uses many different programs and services that are designed to make their goals a reality. One of the main services that offered is the Hire a Lion website.

With this tool, students and alumni can upload résumés, search for on- and off-campus employment, find volunteer and internship opportunities, and schedule on-campus interviews with select companies through a profile on the website.

“Any time an employer contacts us with a job posting, it goes on Hire a Lion,” said Nicole Brown, director of career services. “Students can find on-campus, off-campus, full-time, part-time, internship and volunteer positions. We post a weekly job list around campus, but I always recommend students login to the system periodically because new jobs are posted every day.”

Another service available on the Career Servies website is a programed called Optimal Résumé. Optimal Résumé is used as a resource in certain classes offered on campus, and it allows students and/or alumni to improve their résumés, learn the proper way to create cover letters, develop websites and personal portfolios, and even participate in mock interviews.

“The main thing I want students to know is that we are here to help,” said Brown. “If a student is unsure if we can help with it, just call, send us an email, or stop by. All of the Career Services staff are friendly and willing to help students at any time.”

The Career Services department also makes additional resources available to students and alumni, including personality and career assessments. For more information about the Career Services department visit www.mssu.edu/career.