Guest causes uproar from Lions

Joshua Boley/The Chart

Matt Bourgault of Neosho, Mo. gets the attention of students walking through the oval on Sept. 25.

Crowds of students gathered on and off for several hours on Sept. 25 outside the Billinglsy Student Center as Matt Bourgault with Consuming Fire Campus Ministries of Neosho preached and took questions from students.

Bourgault appeared to offend many in the crowd with his interoperation of scripture. Many in the audience attempted to confront him and engage him in debates. Other students replied to his message with anger and cursing.

At one point Bourgault addressed the women in the crowd with the following:

“You’re hell-bound with your hypocrite friends. You shall be judged. You are a whore. That’s W-H-O-R-E. If you’re having sex outside of marriage, you are a whore,” Bourgault said.

Jennifer Grimes, senior psychology major, replied, “You’re an asshole. That’s A-S-S-H-O-L-E.”

According to Bourgault over the last 14 years his ministry has reached 36 states and more than 120 campuses. Bourgault said he is hoping to plant seeds but would also like to see a revival on campuses.

“Ideally it would be Acts chapter three where Peter preached and 3 thousand came and declared what must we do to be saved,” Bourgault said. “That would be wonderful if everyone came under conviction, confessed their sin and repented.”

Bourgault’s presence on campus met with mixed opinions, while many did not agree with his rhetoric, some students thought he may actually be good for the campus. Cody Martin junior political science major and student senator offered his own thoughts and clarified that he was not speaking on behalf of the student senate.

“In a way, it kind of brings the students together… It may be for disagreement, but it’s hard to find a group of students who randomly, on one day at one time, meet at the oval and just in awe at someone else’s ignorance,” Martin said. “Believe it or not, I think it brings the campus together.”

Bourgault explained that the crowd during his visit at Missouri Southern this time was pretty mild. He added that crowds will always gather when you preach “confrontational gospel.”

According to Bourgault he has been assaulted on a variety of occasions.

“I have been accosted on this campus right here in you parking lot by a pack of wild women who kicked me,” Bourgault said.

In 2002 MSSU Police Chief Ken Kennedy told Bourgault that he would be arrested if he attempted to demonstrate on campus. Bourgault sued MSSU and a Federal judge ruled that his first amendment right to free speech is protected.

Bourgault as a result of the ruling is allowed to speak on campus, but still must file a grounds use permit. Kennedy said there have not been any incidents of violence or arrests.

“I’ve had some people walk up to me and ask me ‘If I smack him, are you going to arrest me?’ and I’ve said ‘Yes, I’ll have to.’” Kennedy said. “We used to surround him to act as a barrier between him and the crowd, but they knew since we were there, they could act out and get aggressive, and try to attack him. It’s worked better backing off.”

During Bourgault’s Sept. 25 visit a physical altercation almost took place between Bourgault and junior criminal science major Lee Shorter.

“He spit in my face,” Shorter said.

Shorter was pulled back from the crowd and Bourgault by fellow students. Shorter also said that he felt Bourgault was being disrespectful to woman.

“When he’s spitting like that, that’s where I draw the line.” Shorter said. “He’s so judgmental,  It’s not right… granted some of what he is saying is true, but it’s how he’s saying it.”

Kennedy said he did not see or was made aware of the spitting incident, but added that he doesn’t think Bourgault would have done that intentionally.

“When you stand that close to someone who is shouting and yelling you may get spit on,” Kennedy said.

Bourgault explained that there is a rise in the number of open air preachers recently as a result of the problems the nation is facing. Additionally he encourages all campus ministers to pray and seek out God and “preach the gospel and not just a one sided love gospel.”

“Obviously I don’t do this for the money or the fame,” Bourgault said. “ I am simply doing this because the word of God constrains us to do it. We are to warn the wicked based on Ezekiel chapter three.”