Kazual group sponsored by CAB

Brad Stout/The Chart

The Campus Activities Board, with help from the Student Activities Office, sponsored a live performance on campus from the acapella group Kazual.

Kazual, an Atlanta-based acapella group who specialize in blending R&B music with hip-hop, held a live performance on the MSSU campus on Aug. 29.

The performance, which was presented by Missouri Southern’s Student Activities Office, was held in the Taylor Performing Arts Center, and was one of many acts that the Student Activities Office had planned for this semester.

Kazual first came to fame after the group was a contestant on the reality competition show America’s Got Talent in 2008. It placed in the overall top 40 that year. It has since performed as the opening acts for well-known artists such as Nelly and Destiny’s Child, and has been featured on The Maury Show, as well as the BET Network and Showtime.

“It’s a group we were excited for,” said Landon Adams, director of student activities. “They’ve got a very R&B-mellow kind of sound.”

Kazual’s performance at MSSU was recommended to the Student Activities Office by the Missouri Southern Campus Activities Board (CAB), which is comprised of student volunteers who work throughout the year with the Student Activities Office. According to Adams, these students first became familiar with Kazual after they saw one of the group’s showcases at a conference they attended one year ago.

“Our students have always been very impressed by them,” said Adams, “not only impressed by the quality of their performance, but also by the quality of the individuals in the group. They were very outgoing and friendly with the students when we met them.”

During the performance, which was free and open to the public, Kazual performed a wide variety of cover songs, as well as a few original songs from the group’s new album, Back From the Future, which was released online through iTunes.

“I thought it was fun and I liked their song selection,” said Kaylin Schatzer, undeclared sophomore and CAB member. “I think it was a great performance and I’m grateful for all the people that came. I think they enjoyed it, too.”