Lions end streaks for Central Missouri

Kenneth Armant/The Chart

Sophomore forward Karley Thomas settles the ball during the game against Lindenwood on Oct. 6. The game ended in a tie after two overtimes.

The University of Central Missouri hadn’t lost an MIAA conference game in 48 matches. Ranked 11th in the nation, the Jennies were a figurative Goliath. Last night when the Missouri Southern soccer Lions went to Warrensburg to face them they were the underdogs, as they had not beat Central Missouri since 2007 when the Jennies were ranked fifth in the nation.

The Lions would put on a performance worth remembering. Led by sophomore forward Karley Thomas and junior goalkeeper Beth Hammons, the Lions left Warrensburg with a 2-1 win.

Not only had the Jennies been undefeated for 48 conference matches, they also had not lost a home game in five years.  

Just 14 minutes into the game, the Lions put a point on the board. Playing a different role than usual (she leads the team in assists), Thomas was able to redirect the ball and found the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

“It was awesome to finally score and to have a great defense and goal keeper to keep the lead for us,” said Thomas.

The Lions went into the half still leading 1-0.

It wouldn’t take Thomas long to net her second goal of the year, as a cross from sophomore Carly Cecil found her in the box just six minutes into the second half. The Lions were up 2-0 with less than 40 minutes to go.

The Lions went into the game with a defensive strategy that only allowed one slip up as Central Missouri would go on to score one goal.

Central Missouri outshot the Lions 17-6, but Hammons had a stellar performance in front of the net, notching eight saves on the night, including seven in the 2nd half, to insure a Lions’ victory.

“”Beth kept us in the game with her outstanding saves,” said Thomas.