Events honor veterans

Joshua Boley/The Chart

Leland Browne, left, served as a Seabee from 1951 to 1955 and John Cragin served in the United States Army from 1943 till 1967. Both stand with members fo the Show-me Gold program at the end of the MSSU Veterans Week Memorial Ceremony on Nov. 11.

In honor of Veteran’s Day, events and activities were organized throughout campus to honor those who have served.

The week’s activities will conclude tonight at 5 p.m. at Fred G. Hughes Stadium,  with a Crossfit Competition, and those who place will receive a Veteran’s Week Military Challenge Coin.

Entry fee for the event is $10 and registration is available by contacting CPT Amanda Self at (417) 625-9690.

To kickoff of the activities, Saturday morning marked the first annual “Run with the Heroes” 5K race.

“At least 100 runners attended this event which is amazing because at the beginning of the week we had roughly ten people RSVP,” said Steven Benefield, director of campus recreation.

There ended up being 103 runners in total, but there were also volunteers and supporters in attendance. The runners ranged from Missouri Southern students, to faculty, to Joplin residents.

Joplin resident Dale Johnson heard about the race through facebook and brought his family members along to cheer him on.

“I liked the race, it was very well organized,” said Johnson. “I would attend this event if it were to happen again next year.”

The “Run with the Heroes” 5K race was put on by the Show Me GOLD Program and the Student Veterans Organization.

The course of the run was the same course used for the 75th anniversary 5K, but the start and end were located near the Veteran’s Plaza. The organizations plan to host this event each year, along with activities throughout the week.

“This race is unique in that we have veterans running,” said freshman marketing major Justin Feingold who is also the president of the student veteran organization. “They are here in their gear so the runners can thank the veterans and we hope to have more active military running in the future.”

Each participant of the race received a bag with a ticket to Saturday’s football game. Military ID holders could attend free of charge and veterans were recognized during halftime.

On Monday, a small gathering of students, faculty and veterans gathered at the Veteran’s Plaza for the MSSU Veteran’s Week Memorial Ceremony.

Capt. Amanda Self along with members of the Show-me Gold program participated in the ceremony. Maj. (Ret.) Erv Langan spoke about some of the changes that have happened both to Southern and the military.

Veterans from each branch where singled out and honored prior to the playing of Taps by trumpeters from the MSSU marching band.

In the afternoon following the Memorial Ceremony, the Campus Activities Board hosted Dickerson Park Zoo’s Eagles of North America in Corley Auditorium. The event brought in a bald and golden eagle along with their handlers.

As the eagles were presented the handlers spoke about the differences between bald and golden eagles as well as some the difficulties and high points for the eagles.   

The movie We Were Soldiers was shown in Phelps Theater on Tuesday and Thursday.

The events and activates were made possible by the Show Me GOLD program, Student Veterans Organization, MSSU Athletics, and Student Activities.