Southern Jazz groups groove in Chicago-style pizzeria

Jazz and pizza a great combo

Jazz music and Chicago-style pizza will be the popular theme tonight at Gusano’s Pizza as Missouri Southern Jazz Combos will perform beginning at 6 p.m.

Jazz & Pizza will include three student combos performing a variety of jazz compositions, the Tuesday 3:30 Combo, Thursday 3:30 Combo and Tuesday 4:30 Combo.

“This is an opportunity for people in the community to listen to our jazz combos in a more relaxed atmosphere,” said Dr. Phillip C. Wise, director of jazz studies. “I encourage folks to come out to relax and enjoy a pizza and listen to some jazz.”

Senior Kyle Babbitt of the Tuesday 4:30 Combo graduated from Webb City and has been playing the saxophone for 16 years.

Although his major at Southern is health promotions, he continues his interest in music through his music minor and is also a part of local music group Jomo Jazz.

Accompanying Babbitt in the Tuesday 4:30 combo will be vibraphonist sophomore Anja Subasic.

She began her interest in music at the age of nine and now plays not only the vibraphone but also percussion. Subasic is an honors student, president of the International Club and a part of the drumline.

Another member of the Tuesday 4:30 Combo is junior music performance major Matthew Clark.

“In jazz, I play the upright bass and electric guitar. My mom forced me to play the cello when I was 8 and I just happened to be good at it, and I enjoyed it,” said Clark, who is also the principle cellist of the Southern Symphony.

Students currently enrolled in music appreciation class can get credit for class while attending Jazz & Pizza.

The event is free, open to the public and reservations can be made at Gusano’s Pizza at (417) 623-9090.